Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why Do I Care What Bag the Pros Play?

I got my daily e-mail from Golf Press Association. It is basically a regurgitation of the press releases they receive from equipment, apparel and marketing companies. I accept that. Sometimes these e-mails even contain some interesting announcements.

What I don't get is why I would care that in the recent AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, "6 of the 20 finishers at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, including the runner up relied on Izzo to carry their bags". Izzo is a great golf bag. They come up with innovative designs, cool colors and have bags that are easy on the back. That's not my issue. Aside from the fact that it was a caddie that actually carried an Izzo bag for his pro, I wasn't aware that the bag that I put my clubs in is going to make me successful.

Is this a case of "the clothes make the man" or maybe a Venn diagram problem that we learned in math class: if everyone in my group has an Izzo bag, Izzo bags are cool, then that must mean that I'm cool because I carry an Izzo bag. I think this is a not so veiled attempted to generate publicity about a product that has absolutely nothing to do with success on the golf course.

Just another example at trying to garner some press exposure when you really don’t have something worthwhile to say.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Sheehan May I run a media design company called Tiger Creations. I am in the progress of creating a community driven golf website and I am looking for content contributors.

If you would be interested and want more information please email me at my company email mail@tigercreations.net or my personal email sheehan_may@hotmail.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home